Monday, September 29, 2008

Falling into Fall

I'm trying to get the fall spirit alive in my house. We kicked off today by visiting a local grape arbor---not the most common thing here in Central Ohio---to buy some grapes. There is a very small community called St. Margarita nearby which was built a hundred years ago by Italian immigrants who came here to work in the quarry. Not sure yet what I will do with the grapes. The smell in the arbors was to die for, by the way.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I also picked up these mums from a local farmer the other day, and planted them in a couple of kids' candy buckets I got from the church rummage sale last spring. I am very eager for Halloween. I always loved it, and love it more now since it's my younger son's birthday.

Photobucket

Photobucket


My little guy and I took a fall walk this morning and gathered some leaves, and started pulling my marigold seeds to save for next year. I also got out my corn silk doll. She's a beauty from our trip to Southern Ohio last spring.

Photobucket

My older son asked the other day why don't we ever eat in the dining room any more? Hmm, because mommy's scrapbooking junk is all over the table. Maybe tonight we will have a family dinner. I dug out these cool candlesticks that my sister in law made for my husband a few years back to accentuate the lack of junk on the table.

Photobucket

Even though I am trying not to shop, I could not resist picking up this Willow Tree ornament when I saw it at Cracker Barrel; I think it was totally worth the impulse buy because it is basically our family:

Photobucket

Another impulse buy, also worth it IMHO, was this set of hardback Zane Grey westerns, found at the used book store for $2 each. Based on today's economic news, it will be my last splurge for a bit!

Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. I need to know where you got the concord grapes. I have to make a pie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trabue road in columbus; just before you get to US-33, you pass through the village of San Margarita. A guy has a stall up in front of the grape arbors, but I guess only till this Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by my blog, and reading the letter I wrote to congress. Dave Ramsey is awesome, and I knew it was a good time to write a letter since he asked us to forward his plan to the lawmakers.

    The photos on your blog are so beautiful. The grape picking looks like such a nice relaxing day. Thanks for sharing the trip with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shannon
    I am so glad you left a comment about the porcupines. My husband's mom used to make them all the time and he loves them. I actually just got a recipe online because I don't have her original one. You can just google porcupine recipes, or email me and I'll send you the one I used.
    Hugs, Rhondi

    ReplyDelete
  5. How totally cool to see those candles! Matt and I made then for our own wedding -- and it meant that Matt got to sit in a ceremic studio, week after week, with a bunch of old ladies who complained...

    ReplyDelete