Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Hauling out the holly

We had a tree trimming party this weekend with my brother in law and mother in law, which was a fun way to bring them into our traditions considering that we do most of our holiday celebrating here now. Mother in law brought a few ornaments to add, plus I love our little things we have collected, like our older son's little "I heart Daddy" booties, now strung with red and green ribbon. And the one that was a wedding gift that commemorates our first Christmas as a married couple. Lots of ornaments from growing up that my mom gave me, which are little links to the past, and to her. And of course all the little ornaments given us by the grandmas when we were expecting. Every tree should tell a story, I think.





Husband got creative with this idea to put bows on these baskets on the walls. I did the bows, he was the brains.



Every year I always have that song in my head, "Need a Little Christmas" and I hum it while I'm getting things ready:

For I've grown a little leaner,
Grown a little colder,
Grown a little sadder,
Grown a little older,
And I need a little angel
Sitting on my shoulder,
Need a little Christmas now!




With our shopping basically done, I am hoping to spend much of the rest of the year doing crafts, playing board games with the kids, doing crafts with the kids, and reading. I was thinking about how stressful the holidays can be for us, and how that can only translate badly to the kids. How many times have I been flipping out to get the house clean for company, yelling at my boys to pick this up, no I can't play with you, we've got people coming! We're going to make memories, dammit!!! No, we can't have that anymore. We proved on Thanksgiving that we could pull off a low stress meal (4 hours total spent cooking and cleaning) and make it an enjoyable time for everyone, and I think we need to stick with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment