Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Snow Days and the Idea Book



When I was small I stayed with my babysitter, Grammy, while my mom worked. Whenever I was bored, Grammy would pull out this pile of books and magazines and say "Well, let's look through the idea books and find something to do." The idea books were an assortment of children's craft ideas she had probably saved from the 50's when her own kids used them. They were full of all sorts of things, like how to make a zoo out of a paper bag and some construction paper, or tin can stilts. That kind of thing. Today when they announced no school because of the ice I thought I am not going to spend another day with these boys running amok, bored out of their minds. I don't have any idea books but I do have the internet. Thankfully a few days ago http://creativechaos.typepad.com/creative_chaos/ posted a blog about making graham cracker houses with her kids. I tweaked the idea because I am stuck at home with no Christmas candy, but we did have a ton of Halloween candy. So yes, at 10am today, I helped my offspring build candy houses and eat as much as they wanted.


The results were far from magazine perfect, but hey, it was a heck of a lot of fun.




I was inspired to do a project myself. I got the idea from another wonderfully creative blogger, http://mydealoftheday.blogspot.com/ to take this old dirty ceramic church I got for nothing at the thrift store and paint it pink! My carolers have a church home now, next to a watercolor of our own old church.




Finally I got out my vintage ornaments. A couple are Shiny Brites from my mom, the purple ones because I like purple, and the rest were acquired from thrift stores. I think I will spend my summer vacation looking for more at yard sales this year. Plus I ordered a gorgeous purple stenciled one from ebay the other day and it should be here soon.

I hope the roads clear up soon, but for now I will be busy making tags for the gifts and I will post that later!

1 comment:

  1. Great Church. Thanks for the mention. Everything is better pink and even better with glitter.

    ReplyDelete