Monday, December 8, 2008

A well spent, jolly weekend

Yesterday we had my extended family's Christmas party at the fabulous Valley Dale Ballroom. It is really convenient when you have a large family to have a family member own a ballroom, lol. I love it because it is one of the great art deco ballrooms from the 1920's, and was huge in the 30's and 40's where everyone played from the Dorsey Brothers, Glenn Miller and even Mr. Sinatra himself! I always love to just soak it all in when I am there; I try to imagine swing dancing with my sweetheart on the big old dance floor.









On Saturday we were with my mother in law at her German club, Germania. Germania is in our Brewery District, and actually was originally the home of one of the brewmeisters in that area, dating back to the 1800's. Now it is a singing and sporting club, as well as a social hall, for German speakers. My MIL is from Austria so she feels very at home speaking her own language. They were having their annual kids' Christmas party for the members, so I was a bit busy tending the kids to take more photos! A treat was sweet Mrs. Klaus, playing her accordion so we could all sing "O Tannenbaum." I also dig the tree: "Frohe Weihnachten" means Merry Christmas!




Finally I had to share this. I am working on a collage and remembered that my MIL gave me a bunch of Christmas sheet music, and I came across this songbook. I love that she never throws stuff out!

2 comments:

  1. Ooh! I love the ballroom. I wish someone in our family had a ballroom because it would make family gatherings so much easier!

    Thanks for the comments on my tree/room. It's definitely a work in progress but hopefully I'll get it all sorted out in a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg that is so awesome! I'm totally jealous!

    ReplyDelete