Friday, August 7, 2009

This garden needs some attention

Spent a bit of time outdoors today. The garden needs a lot of attention. Hopefully tomorrow I will have more time.


Of course I'd get more done if I wasn't taking pictures and blogging all the time. These marigolds always remind me of my mom...the way they smell takes me back to helping my mom plant flats of marigolds in the yard.

The sole survivor: I planted a ton of sunflower seeds, but only a few escaped being eaten by animals.

I love this time of year, when the wildflowers like Queen Anne's Lace come out.

The pond behind the house.

There is a grassy area behind the house, property of the City of Columbus. The neighbors all mow their portion of it, but I came to the point where I was tired of not seeing my husband for 3 to 4 hours every Saturday. Now it's all nice and wild, providing food and shelter for the critters.

This is how we pretty up the compost heap. I'm planning on expanding it with a few more flowers every year to make a little butterfly garden. Also, some unplanned canteloupe is growing out of the compost.

Three sunflowers by the back deck, taking their sweet time with blooming. Well it will be nice to have sunflowers in the fall!

I grew this. I only planted a little corn, most didn't survive, but this one did and I am so grateful for it. It is perfect and we will roast it tomorrow, after I pull weeds, plant the winter cabbage, dig out the carrots and onions and make Ken move the lilacs. Happy Friday!

1 comment:

  1. I am reading your posts backwards-
    since I got back from vacation and kids are with Dad so I have some free time...I am happy to learn the name of those pretty white wildflowers-Queen Anne Lace-I also saw a lot of them in France and took some pics of them.

    PS Glad you joined the Sweet and Sinister swap-me too!!

    ReplyDelete