Thursday, December 31, 2009

Enough


This year I have really only one resolution, and it is one that I have been considering for a very long time, but seriously planning for the past several months. Inspired by bloggers like Dottie Angel and her "Challenge of the Utmost Kind," and The Non-Consumer Advocate, groups like The Compact, and films like The Story of Stuff, I have decided that for the entire year I will not be purchasing newly manufactured goods for myself or my home. For a long time I've been fairly thrifty, but now I feel deeply that I need to step away from consumerism as I have known it, and get back to real values in my life.

Of course I know this will be challenging, and like everyone I've read I do have a short list of things I will buy new, like underwear & socks, shoes (though I have enough shoes already to last through my adult life,) basic supplies for my favorite hobby that can't be done any other way, and some gifts for others. I mention that because although I will lean toward greener gifts in the future, I still want to present a loved one with something they truly want. However I will be more thoughtful about my purchases, and always try to by local, handmade or ethically produced goods when I need to make a purchase of a new item.

I am sure I will be writing about this as the year proceeds and as individual topics arise. For now I just want to state my intention, and really consider the reasons I'm doing this. I chose the above picture because it reminds me that my life is so very full of bounty and goodness, that I don't need to run out and buy a few more things to make it full. I am blessed beyond anything I could have imagined, and I have enough of everything I could possibly need.

2 comments:

  1. I think you'll find that being part of The Compact is easier than you'd imagined.

    Welcome!

    Katy Wolk-Stanley
    "Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without."

    ReplyDelete