Friday, September 10, 2010

I've been kinda busy...

Things have been pretty fast paced around here. The younger son got back to preschool this week, plus we had Labor day stuff, yardwork, laundry, bills, shuttling boys to various lessons, and all the other busy-ness of life. I am hoping for things to settle soon.

I am also at a bit of a crossroads. I'm finding that I'm a bit bored with some of the things I've been doing, and really not finding a reserve of energy for all the crafting. I'd like to resume scrapbooking---I am now a full year behind in my chronological books---so first I think I need to clean out the craft space. Also I am preparing notes and outlines for NaNoWriMo. And I am reading A LOT of books. Meeting up with my book club has inspired me to remember that first and foremost, I love to read! Our current title is The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield, and it's a wonderfully mysterious, creepy, dreamy read for autumn, especially inspiring for Halloween.

Halloween is coming, which is my little son's birthday. We are on family "austerity measures" so I'm struggling with planning activities and decor on no budget. The struggle is mainly with myself---I have tons of materials. I don't need to buy stuff. And yet I find myself somewhat embarrassingly depressed at not being able to buy stuff. Oh sure, Nate will have a party, and we'll get him a couple gifts and it will be great. But I am realizing that I am somewhat addicted to just running out and buying whatever little odd-and-end I want. It's like a crutch---my real want is to express myself and be creative, but I do so by buying stuff, which is not creative at all.

Then there is Christmas, right around the corner. This is another struggle. We are tired of the greed fest, we are tired of our kids just being overwhelmed by stuff. And it is so hard to express this to family members who show their love through "gifting." (And we can't blame them too much because we are just as bad sometimes.)

Lots to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment