Sunday, September 19, 2010

There are sick people in this world...

I am saddened and disgusted today. I think of my little blog as a refuge and a place to go to interact with like minds. But from time to time I am reminded of how icky some people can be.

While digging around, spending a leisurely Sunday morning learning how to use more of the analytics tools, I discovered that recently I have had a *ton* of hits to a picture I posted over a year ago. This was an innocent picture from a past birthday of my grandpa giving me my birthday spanking. I posted it because I thought it was funny. Well, it seems that it spread like wildfire, especially through Germany (no offense to anyone German, I'm just saying.) And it was coming up from keyword searches "birthday spanking" along with a lot of really disgusting other pictures.

I've removed it from my blog, and I am working to remove it from the various search engines and web crawlers. However my stomach is crawling over the fact that a nice childhood memory of mine has been compromised, and I doubt I will ever fully extinguish the photo from the internet.

The moral of this story? Be careful of what you post. I am now really feeling worried that I've posted too many pics of my kids, too much personal information, and in general opened myself up far too much. I'm probably not going to be posting as much for a while, while I sort through past posts and use the webmaster tools to see what people are really looking at.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Thanks for sharing, Shannon. There are some truly sick people in this world who are stealing our innocent moments and perverting them. I love the fact that you did not just stand by and let it happen. You called it out for the whole world to see. I am going to put this blog entry on my page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Shannon, this makes my stomach drop. I have not pulled together the whole analytics thing, how do you do it???
    lynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your support! I am feeling better about the whole thing. Google really works! I sent the link to google's request to remove content, and it worked. Now when I type variations on "birthday spanking" it no longer appears anywhere, thank goodness.
    Lynn---on your dashboard, under the link to your blog, you'll find a link called "stats." That is a good starting point. Also you can go to your account, and find the link to "analytics." Both places have different tools to use to find out everything from where your internet traffic is coming from in the world, to who is linking you.

    ReplyDelete