Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The best Thanksgiving ever

I was thinking about one of my favorite Thanksgivings. Even though I was only 2 1/2, I vividly remember this event. It was held in someone's basement, and I was surrounded by grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins. At that time there were 21 of us cousins; my dad was one of eight kids, and we all lived in or near central Ohio. I can't imagine growing up without all my people around me! (Don't you just love my cousin Chad in his short pants and jacket???)

Classic example of my mom trying to take pictures of people without them knowing it. Sorry Uncle Marty!

I remember that I was still the baby girl of the family, a position I thoroughly enjoyed for ten years until my sister came. :-) I loved being the one who got to sit on everyone's laps. (That's me and my grandma, Thelma.)

It obviously wasn't fancy; you can see in the photo some people are sitting on a picnic table. I recall card tables being involved. Every family brought a side dish, and someone roasted the turkey. Not quite Norman Rockwell---here you can see my aunt Sharon entertaining the children of all ages by flipping her eyelids.

I am so grateful to have these photos to remember it. This is my sweet aunt Pam. She's still beautiful. I love all the 70's kitsch...whatever happened to punch bowls, anyway? Let's bring them back this year!

My great grandpa died in December of that year, and I think our coming together as a group had something to do with that, as this is the only Thanksgiving I remember such a big group. Regardless, my memories of this day are warm and fuzzy ones, of being surrounded by all these beautiful people I loved, and who loved me.


1 comment:

  1. What fun memories! I love the pictures! You sure were cute! Thanks thanks thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete