Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Getting real about what I use NOW

The week of purge has begun to stall a bit, mainly because I'm lazy. But a quick trip through the house and I've managed to let go of some cherished but unused items from around the house and stock them on the old Etsy shelves.


This typewriting textbook was hidden unbeknownst to myself with the typewriter I bought at the church rummage sale like ten years ago. My husband still bugs me about the typewriter, which continues to live in the basement because I am still unwilling to part with it. One step at a time, my dear, one step at a time.


Odd pillowcases from my MIL. She means well when she sends us her castoffs, and truly a lot of her stuff is so cool. But in a house full of males the floral really doesn't work, plus like most families we already have way too much stuff.

I just love these coffee cups. That's why I bought them! Trouble is they are so darned SMALL. I am a modern girl, with a modern taste for a big coffee. There is a reason Starbucks calls their small "Tall," right?

Isn't this a lovely carafe? Can't you just imagine serving juice or coffee in it, perhaps on a quaint tray for breakfast in bed? I do love these pretty things, but honestly it was in our kitchen for a year unused. In fact, I started to sell it a year ago, and husband said "Oh no, that's a great carafe, let's keep it and use it!" This time around I'm not telling him it's out the door!

The toughest thing to part with: my saddle shoes. I got them 15 years ago at a thrift when I was big into swing dancing. Now they are pretty much only good for maybe a costume or something. Despite the wear, they were snapped up within 24 hours of listing them.


My guiding verse today, delivered to my inbox from Beliefnet:

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat, or about your body, what you will wear. For life is more than food, and the body more than clothing. Consider the ravens: they neither sow nor reap, and they have neither storehouse nor barn, and yet God feeds them. Of how much more value are you than the birds! And can any of you by worrying add a single hour to your span of life? Consider the lilies, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not clothed like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which is alive today and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, how much more will he clothe you--you of little faith!"
--Luke 12:22-25, 27-28



No comments:

Post a Comment