Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Keep calm and carry on...(plus ice storm pics)

First bit of news in my world...our Nathan had to spend Sunday night in the hospital! He learned the hard way why we don't run about with toys in the mouth. He was chewing on the end of a plastic pipe (a piece of a broken toy that I even went so far as to throw in the trash last week. Big brother dug it out and brought it back into the house!) and fell forward, pushing the sharp edge into the back of his throat. While it wasn't terrible, I could see blood when I looked with a flashlight, so off to the ER we went. He had a 1.5 centimeter laceration to the back of the throat. This necessitated a CT scan, sedation and oxygen to get through the scan, and an overnight at the hospital to monitor him. All's well that ends well---no damage to nerves or major arteries or veins, so now he's on a diet of mushy foods for a few days. Needless to say I feel incredibly grateful that our little anecdote did not end up being much much worse.






We, like 1/3 of you in the United States, had our first round of "the big one" last night. Where we are didn't get it too bad, but they still canceled school. I am glad we can all be home together after our crazy ordeal. I took a bunch of pics because one of my husband's colleagues in Montpelier, France wanted to know what an ice storm looks like. (Must be nice!) When you stand back from it, and don't have to drive in it, it's really very beautiful.

I am relieved that our "sunshine boy" is on the mend, and we are looking forward to better days!

1 comment:

  1. Wow- such a scare. Thankfully it wasn't too bad. I can't believe we haven't been to the ER yet for any of our kids...knock on wood!

    ReplyDelete