Saturday, March 12, 2011

Spring, Lent and Renewal


Was reading my friend Susan's Lenten Meditation blog today, and it really helped me to focus on a few things that have been nagging at me. She talks about discipline, which was one of my areas of focus for 2011. Discipline is a positive thing, not a negative thing, that should help you grow.

Some issues I've identified with myself that keep me from living my best life are things like trolling on the computer, especially facebook, for hours on end, eating crappy food to soothe myself when I'm frustrated, drinking a bit more than I ought (especially in the winter months,) and running out to the thrift stores to buy stuff out of boredom, not need. For me these issues all represent a lack of discipline on my part. They represent the fact that I am ignoring some of my real issues with distractions. The great irony being, with all the time I'm wasting on distractions I am not making time to do things that I really want to do.

Spring is a great and sensible time to start new routines and to dive into self improvement. Way more sensible than New Year's when you think about it. I know I don't have all the answers to my problems, but the sun is shining, the birds are singing, and the winds are blowing the stink of winter away. Things are new and green. Time to turn off the computer for a while and head out into the yard for the restorative powers of digging in the dirt, which lately seems to be the best starting point for me.

1 comment:

  1. Stompin at the Savoy... (the song on your blog). Ahh this takes me back to when my Dad used to listen to Big Band music all the time. =)

    ReplyDelete