Monday, May 2, 2011

Meatless Mondays

A can of rinsed pinto beans, a can of diced tomatoes with chilis, some leftover corn, and sauteed onions and seasonings made this soup.

Tuscan white bean soup...onions, celery and garlic, garden basil, leftover roasting vegetables from a previous meal, navy beans and a can of stewed tomatoes.


Leftover quinoa with sauteed asparagus and red pepper. (I continue to be thankful for the local farm market where I get very cheap grains!)

I was enjoying a post by a favorite blogger, Adventures of a Thrifty Mama in a Trailer Park Homestead today. She is writing about a favorite topic of mine, making do. I was thinking about a lot of my meatless Monday meals that are often just stuff I had in the fridge and threw together. Especially soups. My basic soup recipe is borrowed from the "Rachael Ray Way" of doing what she calls "stoup." It consists of starting with your aromatics (garlic, onion, celery, bay leaf, etc.) in some evoo at the bottom of the pot. Adding in veggies, bean, corn, whatever, and finishing with some broth or stock. My husband loves to roast chickens and make stock, so we always have something around. (And yes it's not exactly meatless that way...you can use veggie stock too.)

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I'm making soup tonight - but it won't be meatless, this time. I have a ton of leftovers in the freezer, so I'm going to dump the leftover beef stew and leftover lentils and leftover green beans into a big pot with some tomatoes and carrots and potatoes. My family calls my soup "Hodge podge soup"...

    ReplyDelete