Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Local Food


I guess food is on my mind this week. As the dividends pour in from the garden, I am contemplating our food strategy for next year. I do love my garden, and I value my ability to produce food. However, more often than not this summer I found myself either running to the store for this or that, or eating out, only to find that suddenly I was stocked with a bushel of green beans. Although we do try to grow a variety of foods in our yard, ranging from tomatoes, zucchini, peppers and beans to our little apple trees, there still isn't enough variety to round out our diet. Additionally, our garden is becoming more of an expensive hobby than a sustainable way of getting food. This weighs on my mind, because it's a lot of work.

I think my objectives next year will involve finding less expensive ways of raising food, maybe focusing on the things that are more expensive to buy, narrowing the scope of what we grow so I can learn everything there is to know about a particular crop, and joining a CSA to ensure that we have a steady stream of local produce.

Oh, and those apples were amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment