Tuesday, August 16, 2011

My Front Porch

When the weather gets just right, I love being on my front porch. In fact, when it gets cold this fall, you'll find me wrapped in a warm blanket sipping my coffee for as long into the season as I can.

When we were house hunting, I specified that I would only buy a house with a front porch. Not a terribly easy thing to find in all the neighborhoods we were looking at. Heck, even our tent has a front porch.

Earlier in the summer I realized my porch was a disgraceful mess, so I prettied it up with some plants and a new pillow. Now it looks pretty welcoming, I think.

We have a deck out back. It's just not the same. You can't wave to the neighbors as they bike or walk by from the back deck.

On days like this, I tell the boys "this is a front porch kind of day." They know this means I will be parked out there with a stack of books, journals and magazines. They know that this also means they can ride bike or climb the tree to their hearts' content. And that all meals will be simple and taken on the porch.

And they don't seem to mind a bit.





1 comment:

  1. It looks great Shannon! I love my front porch too. It has become kind of a mess though, and we haven't used it much this year. I need to get to work on that. :)

    ReplyDelete