Saturday, September 24, 2011

Fall feast oops...


I made a fall feast last night, and made two mistakes. First, I failed to put nearly enough salt into the two loaves of bread I baked. Second, I forgot to photograph the food...was very very hungry!

So here was the menu:

Butternut squash soup
Rosemary Bread
Homemade applesauce
Pinot Grigio

The soup was nearly a fail when halfway through cooking the garlic and onion I realized I had no stock or broth in the house. I rolled the dice and created this concoction for the soup:

  • Halve a butternut squash and roast for about 45 minutes in a 350 oven
  • sautee some garlic and onion in some olive oil (one small onion and 3 cloves)
  • Chunk up the squash and add it to the pot (if you would like to puree the squash, you can do that, or you could smash it with a potato masher or fork too.)
  • Salt and pepper
  • Add a half cup of white wine
  • pour a glass of wine :-)
  • Add in a cup or so of milk (you may need to add more as you are cooking it down)
  • Hold your breath and add a can of cream of something soup. I had cream of celery, but I can imagine a lot of varieties might work too.
  • Crack some nutmeg into the pot
  • Simmer until it tastes right :-)
Normally I would have just made a white sauce, then added maybe chicken stock, but this worked just great. Everyone liked it a lot. We buttered and salted our bread and left zero leftovers.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds Delish! I often forget to take a photo! OR I remember to photograph for get to post recipe. . .go figure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a feast Shannon! Sounds like the flavors of fall...yum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! Going to have to try that one!

    ReplyDelete