Thursday, September 15, 2011

Salad for fall


I made this salad for us last night, since it was a scout meeting night I needed something easy. Some chicken, walnuts, dried cranberries, blue cheese and apples on a bed of spinach. It's my husband's favorite salad to order at restaurants. I'm trying to pay more attention to what we are really eating at restaurants with the hopes of keeping us out of them! One thing I love about spinach is that it's super nutritious, you can use it for salads, and if it becomes less than crisp you cook it right up. I like it in my eggs in the morning. Also, it's a great cool weather crop. We didn't plant any, but we'll be able to get it locally for another month or two.



Another cool weather crop---lettuce! I always plant some in August and my little patio containers have already sprouted. We grow loose leaf varieties, and just keep cutting them. We usually get 5-6 cuttings before the plants are spent, and some years we are still harvesting lettuce until December, even here in Ohio!

1 comment:

  1. yum!!!! I'll add some of my bread and we'll have a great meal!
    xo
    lynn

    ReplyDelete