Saturday, October 22, 2011

Today is a reading day


Do you bite off more than you can chew with your books? Yeah, me too. Part of my problem is that no matter how long the library queue is, I'm guaranteed to have all my titles come in at once. I now find myself at varying points in multiple books; no choice but to have a reading marathon today. Here's the rundown:

On the Farmfront: The Women's Land Army in WWII by Stephanie Carpenter. I've barely begun this but the pictures are fascinating. It's about women, bother farmers and non-farmers, who flocked to the country to keep agriculture going during the war while the men went to fight. Think Rosie the Riveter on a tractor. I found this title completely by accident while doing a library search for a book for my son.

The Day I Ate Whatever I Wanted by Elizabeth Berg. A collection of short stories about women dealing with various issues. I'm about half way through, and I really like it, especially the story that gives the book its name---a woman skips her Weight Watchers meeting to literally eat whatever she wants all day. I had heard the title several years back and finally got around to getting myself a copy.

Buddha Standard Time by Dali Surya Das. I was intrigued by its cover in the library, so I checked it out. Basically there are a lot of good ideas in this book, and you don't have to be a Buddhist to benefit from them. I'm about halfway through (haven't had the time to read it ha ha.)

The Constant Princess by Philippa Gregory. Yeah, I sort of dig the racy historical fiction thing. I finished The Other Boleyn Girl and loved it, as well as The White Queen and The Red Queen. Wouldn't you know it, that my copy of The Lady of the Rivers came in today and I can only keep it two weeks?

The Complete Tightwad Gazette by Amy Daczyzn. This is the bible for all things frugal. It is admittedly a bit dated (like Amy's early-1990's advice that you don't really need a computer) but the articles are timeless and solid. I try to re-read this, or at least skim it a couple times a year to refocus my efforts at keeping things simple and frugal around here.

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. This was a very very weird book, that I read for book club. If you like Tim Burton movies, Alice in Wonderland, fantasy, steampunk stuff and honestly a good page turning read, this is for you. To be honest, at first I really didn't get it, but the hook was so great I couldn't stop until I got to the end. I would add it's a good read for All Hallow's Evening too.

That's my line up for today, since the husband has kindly taken the boys off my hands. What are you reading?



1 comment:

  1. I ended up with a little found reading time today, too, and I am reading False Charity by Veronica Heley. I read other things, but my very favorite genre is the murder mystery series, where the characters' backstories develop over the course of multiple books. This is the first book of a series and I picked it in a way I never have before: I walked up and down the mystery section in the Old Worthingon library looking for an author I hadn't read before who had lots of books on the shelf, and then picked this one because it is British and felt like a nice cozy. So far, it's feeling like a good choice.

    ReplyDelete