Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Use it up Wednesday


In a stroke of energy I ended up having a thrifty-goodness kind of day. First I decided to use up the leftover cooked oatmeal from breakfast on an experiment creation that turned out pretty good: oatmeal cranberry pistachio biscotti. I basically tinkered with a biscotti recipe until it looked right, and voila! Best part was I was ready to throw out the pistachios because they were a bit stale. It's really pretty good, and of course I have no recipe, as I was tinkering and eyeballing (and wishing and hoping) my way along. I would say the easiest way to incorporate oats into baking is to substitute no more than 1/4 to 1/3 of the flour with oats. If you're adding cooked oats, you'll want to use less of the wet ingredients called for in the recipe of your choice.

Also I rescued some soup bones from the dregs of the deep freeze. They came with the hunk of grass fed cow we bought from a farmer friend last fall. They have simmered all day on the stove top, and now I will add some frozen veggies from the summer garden and other odds and ends from the freezer to make a simple soup for dinner.

This all goes together with a new goal we've set for ourselves: we will not buy any meat, other than for holiday entertaining if needed, until 2012. We are blessed with a full freezer, and anyway we don't need to be gorging ourselves with meat. Likewise we have a lot of grains, cereals and ingredients in the pantry, and I'm going to do my best to keep us well fed and out of restaurants! So as part of this, at least once a week or so it will be my mission to scrounge the freezer and the recesses of the pantry, flex my creative muscles, and come up with bits of culinary genius. Or, at least something edible.

1 comment:

  1. You are very resourceful! I can learn a lot from you!

    ReplyDelete