Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Use it up Wednesday

I've noticed on Wednesdays I am at my peak of creativity for the week. I'm over the hurdles of the Monday-reclamation of the house when everyone else goes back to work and school. And I'm not feeling the rush of trying to get ready for the myriad weekend activities. So I've taken to using my Wednesdays to dig to the bottom of the freezer, pantry, cupboard and closet in search of forgotten ingredients or supplies for food or craft making magic.

Ingredients: half an onion from the fridge, a bunch of slightly bruised apples, a butternut squash from a farmer friend that has sat on the counter for over a month, six eggs that are about to expire, limp broccoli, and the bottom of the Craisins bag.

Transformed into: a broccoli quiche and a mix of roasted squash, cranberries and apples, roasted with just a sprinkle of salt and a touch of honey. Yeah the crust was a bit overdone, but all in all it's pretty good.

Now if I can just get the kids to eat it...





1 comment: