Thursday, March 1, 2012

If I don't set goals, I get nothing done


I have these favorite simple living/minimalist bloggers I love, but the one thing that I can't seem to get into is the whole idea of not having goals.  The past few months I've been living without goals, and guess what?  Nothing's getting done!  Not only have I not done any big projects, but I am also falling further behind with day to day things.  I  tried to blame it on my lack of energy, but at some point the lethargy becomes a self-feeding entity. I kind of think I need something to jump start my spring. So I'm sharing a few goals/plans for March:

1. Get outdoors. Nothing terribly specific, but I want to get outside a little each day, either to work in the garden, walk the kids to school, ride bikes, play ball or soccer with the kids, and generally acclimate to the season.
 
2. Get my bike fixed. Um, I accidentally ran over my bike in the garage, bending one of the rims.
 
3. Do the taxes. We might have a bit of a refund and we need that! (Like, to get my bike fixed, ugh.)
 
4. Wedding clothing and stuff. My brother is getting married in May, so I need to try on and possibly get alterations done on my bridesmaid dress, buy the shoes, and get Nate fitted for his tux (he is the ring bearer!) I will also need to outfit the other boy and husband for the event.  Also I had a bit of a panic this morning when I looked at the calendar, since I've not heard from the other bridesmaids about the shower, pre-wedding events and shoe issues. Time's a flying!

5. Clean the fish tank.  At least I can skip the full water change this time.
 
6. Read 3 books.  I'm going to try something new and go for one fiction book of my choice, my book club read, and one "useful" book a month, and leave it at that.  My book back-log is getting a little crazy: I check out too much and read none of it.

7. Make a large giveaway bag.  That's what we call our donation bag.  I want to do some big decluttering this spring, since I've managed to at least get a lot of thorough cleaning done over the past month. I'm hoping to sweep in 10 items a day during my daily round through the homestead.

8. Spend good, fun time with Nathan every afternoon. Kindergarten is almost through.  We are in the home stretch of afternoons with just Nate and Mommy, and I'm feeling I haven't been making the most of this special time.  Need to fix that.

9. Improve daily routines. I might do a blog about this, but I really need to keep up on simple daily things that will improve my life.  Like managing the paper flow around here.  Today I spent over an hour just digging through 2-3 weeks' worth of school papers, junk mail, bills and other miscellany that was heaped on my desk.  It's very frustrating.

10. Help husband plan something for my 40th.  I threw him a surprise party, but made it clear that with his current closing up of the old job (end of April) and searching for a new one that I had no intention of expecting the same hoopla for mine.  (I sort of saw his 40th as "our hoopla.")  Plus MIL's 70th is in the same week, and we have plans to spend several days on that.  I do have a couple of low-key ideas of how to spend my day, which involve precious little effort on our part. :-)

Any plans or goals for March?



No comments:

Post a Comment