Tuesday, March 6, 2012

I've been thinking

 If you've been reading for any length of time you know I'm struggling lately.  I want to continue a creative path in life.  I want to live authentically with my family.  Blogging, over the years, has provided both a wealth of creativity, but at times it has also blocked me greatly.

 Lately I haven't even been bothering with great photography, turning instead to the hurried snap of a few instagrams. (Read: lazy pics.)  Also, the whole authentic thing sort of slips when you're trying to get your kids to basically pose for a pretty picture of some activity that you've planned more for the blog than the kids.  That's why I have not been posting much in the way of their activities: they need to enjoy things, and they need their privacy.

 I've tried the whole frugal blogger road, and although I am passionate about that stuff, there are a lot of bloggers out there who are doing it way better than I am. (I will update my blogroll with favorite bloggers today or tomorrow for your reading pleasure!)  It's been fun to do the weekly features, but it's also kind of turned into another "to-do" item, which makes it no fun.  And  you can see from looking around I've never made money from this blog.  In fact, I never really set my sites on "monetizing."  I wanted to express myself and maybe meet a few friends along the way.  Which I have, and I am grateful.

 Today after school Nathan wanted to take a very circuitous way home, so we did.  We did our old routine of "noticing" things, and I snapped a few photos.  We gathered a large quantity of sticks from peoples' yards.  Nathan thought we could "make something" of them.  I like that thought: to just mosey along, gathering, without purpose, confident that you will know the moment when  you are ready to "make something."

And so I leave you for a hiatus of an unknown length.  I need to gather.  I need to rest and regroup.  I'm turning 40 in a few weeks, and although it is just a number, I am embarking on a new phase of life in the upcoming year.  I do hope you'll call again, as I'm sure at some point I'll be ready to make something again, and I just know I'll want to share it.

God bless.

4 comments:

  1. While I certainly understand, I will miss you!! I have always found your blog so very authentic that it has been a great inspiration to me. (You know how I struggle with blogging!)

    One question before you disappear: you alluded recently to your family having made a decision. If you ever posted what it was, I'm sorry, I missed it. Are you staying in Columbus? That was the sense I had.....

    Enjoy the rest of your Lenten break from Facebook. Enjoy your time to rejuvenate from blogging. But please find some way to stay in touch. You were a great, uplifting, fun co-worker in the real world and you are a great, uplifting, inspiring friend in the virtual world. I never want to have to go without you!

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I forgot! We are staying. The offer wasn't great. Ken has a job through April 30.

      Delete
  2. Hi Shannon. I totally understand where you're coming from. I have these same feelings, and feelings of being overwhelmed with "one more thing to do." But as Matt says, "When it stops being fun don't do it anymore." I guess that's how I gauge how long I'll blog. Enjoy your break, regroup your creativity, and we'll all look forward to your maybe return.

    Hugs,
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't been blogging as much either. When I do blog it mostly is for me. As in I don't journal or keep a scrap book, so this is it. I've enjoyed that focus for myself. When it happens it happens, if it doesn't it doesn't. I'll miss seeing you around. Have a wonderful birthday Shannon!

    ReplyDelete