Saturday, May 5, 2012

Kale: an acquired taste

Harvested a mess of kale from the plant that won't die, since it went to seed. I've mentioned before that I'm not overly fond of kale but it grew so well that ignoring it made me feel guilty. Armed with Pinterest ideas, I decided to give it another go, and I was not too disappointed. Adding it to my veg juice (celery, carrot, apple, kale) was great. The smoothie (strawberry, blueberry, honey, kale) looked questionable but the taste was good, if not a little bitter. Finally I did the kale chips. Sorry Hungry Girl, these things tasted nothing like potato chips. Definitely not my thing. Verdict: kale, with all its dense nutrient love, will have a place in my garden this year. 

2 comments:

  1. Agreed, Kale is no potato chip! It definitely earns it's place in the garden simply for it's nutrient value in smoothies! I haven't found a lot of other uses for it, although I do toss a few leaves in when I make broth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looooooooove kale!
    I'll eat it any way I can get it!
    Kale chips need plenty of parmesan cheese...
    XO
    C

    ReplyDelete