Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Market Day Week One recap

Our first week of my little summer experiment went surprisingly well. I stuck to the $100 budget, only shopping at the farm market, plus a stop for milk midweek. Here's what we got:

Our $33 CSA share:
2 bunches kohlrabi
2 bags shell peas
2 big heads lettuce
1 head napa cabbage
1 bunch radishes (large!)
1 bunch green onions

Farmers market $64:
4 sausages
1/4 farm cheese
Dozen eggs
3 good tomatoes
1 pint blueberries
1 quart strawberries
1/4 peck apples
1 loaf of bread
2 small fruit pies
10 oz. wild honey
18 oz. cherry jam
Small plate of buckeye candies
1 whoopsie pie

Walgreens $3
One gallon milk

Obviously there were a couple problems, first and foremost being that I let my kids talk me into buying pie and candy and cake, which ate up $15.50 of our budget! Not cool, considering we could make that stuff ourselves. They have been advised to bring allowance money in future. Still I love that they enjoyed being there and talking to all the people and trying the samples.

Protein was another issue. We relied heavily on freezer and pantry staples such as fish and beans.

The good news is that we ate very well all week, and we ate nearly everything. I did make several loaves of bread, and had to turn to dry milk for cooking uses as the week went on. And we stayed out of restaurants (aside from the baseball game, ugh, and a couple of previously scheduled lunches with friends.) We saved money, tried new things and lost a couple pounds in the process.

Our favorite meal of the week was the soup. There wasn't a recipe, but what I did was peel and cut kohlrabi into chunks along with radishes, sweet onions, green onions, a tomato and a zucchini. These I sautéed in oil right in the cookout (and just a pat of butter, for flavor.) I then added a couple tablespoons of flour and cooked that down and poured in a cup of milk and a dash of Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. A few minutes later I added chicken broth, some leftover peas and a can of garbanzos. The beauty of soup is that you can do this with any of your leftovers once you get a handle on the technique. I've made many of Rachel Ray's "stoup" recipes, and I tend to just follow the principles these days. I'm also loving the Internet for ideas for things that I'm not familiar with. In all, this is going pretty well.

Next weeks post will be very different---we are going camping with friends so we will be hitting the grocery store for sure. Hopefully I can score some deals!

No comments:

Post a Comment