Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Market Days

Things I have learned doing my $100 a week grocery challenge:

::I cannot be trusted to post regularly on any topic
::Gatorade, candy,drink mixes, sweets, and wine aren't food, and are the total sum of what pushed us $92 over budget for the month.
::I shouldn't be taking inventory for the store (I'm finishing the month with a pantry loaded, granted with good things like dry beans, grains and lentils.
::trying to exclusively shop the farm markets is a bit pricey, and not terribly practical. Values must be balanced with practical matters such as finance , time and energy.
::multiple grocery stops aren't good for my budget, and tempt me to veer off my list.
::my kids eat more vegetables when I eat more vegetables
::I dislike transcribing grocery lists

The hardest part is the daily challenge of thinking up some new way to fix the veggies or dress the salads. Having a supply of chive, cilantro and basil in the garden helps. As does a block of Parmesan and a supply of good vinegar and olive oil. And homemade bread daily.

The other hard part is getting used to veggies as the main dish. We fall behind. In my kitchen I have varying quantities of: tomatoes, onions sweet and green, yellow and zucchini squash, kohlrabi, radishes, beets, ginger, lettuce, green beans, peaches, apples, bananas, grapefruit, oranges, raspberries, blueberries, peas, celery, watermelon, corn, broccoli and cucumbers.

On the menu this week we anticipate roasted, sautéed, and grilled veggies over rice or couscous, summer pickles, salad, bread, pie, veggie frittata, soup, gazpacho and lots of green juice.

I will continue throughout the summer to pursue this goal and do my best to post updates as we go.

No comments:

Post a Comment