Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Drought

Took my first solitary walk to our local park ever today. I am a little lonely with the kids at school all day, but it was good to get moving again. The dry pond was a huge surprise as we stayed either at the pool or indoors much of the summer. I spent all afternoon thinking things would be better if it would just rain. I wrestled with it, with this idea of not being able to control things. I realized that my life is going through a change of season too, and that the best I can do is go with it. Accept things and lay low and take walks and clear my head. One week into my new normal I am realizing that in so many ways I'm still trying to mother toddlers, at least in my own mind. When they come roaring home of an afternoon, I am surprised that these tallish, loud, somewhat smelly boys are putting away their backpacks, getting their reading done, and making a snack for themselves. Big snacks too. The changes that happened so gradually over the summer are now stark. Time moving at warp speed. As for me, I've no shortage of things to keep me busy. A dozen household projects I've been meaning to do, the daily round of home and garden, friends I have time to see, the gym, and I signed up to be a den leader with cubscouts. It will be a good year, but the most important task I have at hand is to better understand this new iteration of family life.

5 comments:

  1. This year brings lots of changes too. All this growth brings a lot of stretching and a little pain but I'm excited to see what will come of it all. I'm certain you and your sweet little family will flourish through it all :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so kind thanks. It has been the weirdest week.

      Delete
  2. I always felt a little weird when the kids went back to school. Seemed like the day was empty. Change is not easy but it is a reality. I do hope you get much needed rain. We have a duck pond at the bottom of the hill that is nearly empty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pray for the snowiest winter ever. Partly to replenish the water ways, and partly for a few snow days with my boys...we had zero last year.

      Delete
  3. I certainly resonate with your feelings. As you know, my baby left for college this fall so I, too, am going through some adjustment.

    To you I say, just enjoy these new stages. As much fun as the toddler years were,the upcoming ones are a blast, too. You had such a fun summer and it was really just the beginning of what you have to look forward to. You'll be where I am before you know it, certainly before you want to be. Savor the moments!!!

    ReplyDelete