Sunday, November 11, 2012

Weekending



I spent a morning with my guy Nathan, at Tiger Day. It was fun just being his mom and not den leader for a change.

I comforted Zack who is sick today, bringing Jello and saltines and 7-up.

I got a little reading in and picked up Chinese for dinner.

I spent today getting my yard in order; transporting compost is interesting. I made dirt.

I reflected on a troubling issue: a slight to me, an offhand remark from someone I don't really even like. "Don't you ever wonder what she does all day?" He once asked my husband, as he stood in my kitchen, eating food I'd prepared. I pondered this today as I did the hard work of shoveling. I make dirt, I thought. I grow things, I'm growing boys here too. I'm mopping and washing and cleansing and doing. I'm learning and listening and praying. I'm cooking and baking and making. What am I not doing? The making of a good, sturdy home is serious business. It involves so much more than the physical home. It's casting our nets and being a help to others. It's cultivating a community around us, like rich soil, for us all to grow in. It's making my little corner of the planet a little nicer, a little prettier, a little more peaceful. I've learned that good things come from nourishing soil.

4 comments:

  1. I had someone say something like that to me once. I was waiting for my daughter to finish ballet class and was knitting, a fellow mother asked me why I bother knitting and what did I do all day long, she said she would be bored to be a stay at home mom. (I was hurt but I thought maybe she might have been jealous). I think it's a personal choice and we all need to be respective of everyone's life style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That kind of stuff really bothers me. I never set out to be a stay at home mom; I always thought I'd be one of those moms that works outside the home. But circumstances changed and I'm home. And guess what? It's the hardest job I have ever had- plenty of times I wish I had kept my job, because at least you get time off when you work outside the home; now we're on call 24/7/365!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you know, Shannon, I was always a work outside the home mom, but I have never had any patience for people who foment this kind of conflict. I know perfectly well how valuable your role is -- and not only because we had to pay money for someone to do the things I couldn't get done while at work. Even more importantly, no one's value is based on what they produce, any way. We are each valuable just because we are a unique human, and if I may say, a child of God. End of rant. LOL.

    ReplyDelete