Tuesday, January 1, 2013

It's a new year

I always set out not to do resolutions, but I guess what I end up doing is making a list of things I want to work on. And heck, why not? My mind is clear, I'm well rested, and certainly well fed. Here are a few things I am working on, and you can expect if you visit this year:

::My January Project: a fiscal fast. My family agreed to do his together. For the month of January we will only spend money on necessaries. So no restaurant meals, no big box store trips, no nights out to the movies, you get the picture. The only prominent exception will be to keep our Y membership, which keeps us busy and healthy during these cold winter months. Now, I'd love to say I will blog on this daily, but that hasn't yet worked. I will blog as topics arise.

::Gardening. My enthusiasm for my garden severely waned last summer. A drought will do that. I plan to muck in and try some new (to me) techniques this year, as well as approach it with a sense of thrift.

::Weight-loss-as-science-lab. Last year I really did great with maintaining an exercise routine, but lost no weight, in fact I think I gained a a few pounds. This year I want to open my mind. I'm going to experiment with different ideas about eating, and try to figure out what works best for my particular body type.

::All that frugal and green stuff I used to do. It's like I woke up one day and realized my pantry is full of processed, overpriced crap, my kids are eating single-serving everything, and we're producing 3 bags of trash a week. When I'm not living my ideals, I'm just existing.

::Stepping away from social media, especially negative comments. Really the thing I most want to get away from is obsessively reading things like long negative threads on Twitter or Facebook. And news site comments. Seriously, if you feel like being angry or depressed, read the comments on any HuffPo article.

::My word for 2013: CONNECT. It sums up what I learned about myself in 2012: I am an extroverted, social soul, happiest when I am "out there" helping other people. I especially enjoy the tactile and the mundane, not so much the limelight. Things like volunteering at the school. You need something laminated, yeah, I got that. I love my role as den leader, working with the scouts and their families. I want to engage more with the husband and kids, an ongoing thing that gets away from me when I take it for granted. And of course I want to connect more with what my little son used to call "My Big Friend Up There." Somehow I've let my life get in the way of my spiritual life, and that seems very backwards.

I wish you all a wonderful 2013, and thank you for stopping by!






4 comments:

  1. Love the idea of a fiscal fast. Once my kids go back to their campuses, I'm scaling way back. Happy new year!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "When I'm not living my ideals, I'm just existing" -- I LOVE that. I must remember it!

    A gym membership is a necessity in my book. The fiscal fast sounds lovely. I can't see us doing that til March what with the move, though (and February is a birthday month here). March it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. The new house was previously lived in by an avid gardener. I want to keep it going, so that's one of my resolutions too. In fact, can I just copy your list? My own science lab/body experiment involves trying a gluten-free diet to see if it helps my thyroid ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love your list! Cheers to a bright, beautiful and healthy 2013!

    ReplyDelete