Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Remember Your Baptism

 

 
 
 
 
 

It's Ash Wednesday.  I've given up Facebook for another 40 days, and lo and behold I'm feeling thoughtful and creative and meditative.  Thinking about how Pastor always says "remember your baptism" when she puts the ashes on you.  I can't actually remember mine, of course.  But looking at these photos does more than bring back memories of the boys' baptisms.  As I look at the photos I think wow, look at all these people who came out for these events.  For the boys.  The thing of it that gets me is that even when we are babies, people just show up.  They love us.  We are the apple of their eyes.  How many sweet aunties and uncles and cousins and grandparents and neighbors held me and cuddled me when I was a baby? Let me sit on their laps? Sleep on their shoulders?  I'll never know.  All I know is that there were people there for me too, at the beginning of my life, many who are long gone now.  Even in these pictures there are faces we don't see nearly enough, and some who are gone and the boys will never know beyond these pictures, and our stories.  Remember your baptism, to me, really just means experience grace.  It's all around us.  We didn't earn it. We are blessed every day that we walk the Earth. Take a little time to look around and feel it.

3 comments: