Friday, July 5, 2013

Zen question from my son




The other day, Nathan asks me the craziest question:
"Mom, what should I be doing right now?"
My off hand response is normally go clean your room.
But there was an urgency to his voice, a note of worry.
Angst at age seven?
The more I thought on that question, 
the more I realized that is the very question I ask myself.
Over and over.
What should I be doing right now?
Lately the "right now" has been filled with a lot of nothing.
Surfing and posting and complaining about friends' posts on Facebook.
And a lot of chores, with little in the way of accomplishment.
Like everyone I have this project list.
But writing lists makes me crazy, I want to do!
But do what?
It feels like my path is no longer as clear as it once was.
Old goals have dried up and lost meaning.
New things tickle my imagination.
Time to just dive in I guess.
The other day I did whatever I wanted, and it was good.
I think I should be doing that right now.
And being that it's summer,
I told Nathan:
"Do what is most important to you right now."
I think that was a good answer.

4 comments:

  1. I think that was excellent advice! I also think you should give yourself the freedom to do it also if you can. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was the best answer! My son used to ask me that when he was young. Fun memories :) I hope you share what you are doing in your free time and your journey :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is a great question and a great answer.
    wow.
    beautiful!
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sons are 3 and 2 and I am tucking your response in my brain for when they ask... hopefully many years from now.

    ReplyDelete